At 11:55 PM -0500 11/29/2008, Charles Davis wrote:
>  > At 9:59 PM -0800 11/28/2008, Clark Martin wrote:

>  >> Except that it doesn't, it just uses the file where it is.
>
>Isn't this the "Expected" results IF you are operating in the SAME
>Partition/HD ???
>
>>  Um, no.  Just tried it.  It copied the file into the iTunes/ tree and
>>  trashed the original.
>
>This would be if the move/copy was to a location on a different
>partition/ HD ????

The iTunes library AND the folders in which my "master" copy be are
on the same volume.  In fact, they're both in ~/Music.

iTunes is NOT moving the file.  It is making a COPY then disposing of
the original.  IF that import included a format change, then your
original is then GONE.

That's why the default is to copy and leave the original - so as to
avoid that destruction.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth