MPEG Streamclip does the job nicely for me. Note that you *may* have
to download Perian for full functionality.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html
http://www.perian.org/

I think MPEG Streamclip will work on 10.2 and better. Perian however
requires a minimum of 10.4.7. For MPEG Streamclip to work on MPEG-2
files, you need to have the Quicktime MPEG-2 component.

Eric