On Dec 10, 2008, at 10:49 AM, Digital Bill wrote:

> The machines are being removed piecemeal and he's trying to clean them
> up and get them running. Currently he has either an Indigo Blue or
> Blueberry iMac, a Power Mac G3 desktop with a "Powered by Sonnet"
> sticker on it and a G4 GigE with dual 500Mhz processors. (I haven't
> seen any of these machines myself, nor the others, so I'm working off
> his descriptions, so please bear with me.)
>
> Needless to say, most if not all of this stuff is in disarray; I don't
> think he even has enough power cords, mice or keyboards for these
> things. If he uses current day power cords, will it be safe?

Power cords are power cords are power cords. Just fine.

> Secondly, what keyboards do exist need some serious cleaning up.

Spray some formula 409 on a thick wad of paper towels, and wipe down
the keyboards. This is what we do here and it works pretty well. Don't
saturate the paper towels so much that your get liquid runnign into
the KB, and you have to wrap the towels aroudna finger and scrub each
key separately to clean up really dirty ones, but it's quite effective.

> If he
> plugs his aluminum Mac keyboard and mighty mouse in, will they work,
> or will they only work on the most recent flavor of OSX?

Any usb keyboard and mouse will work in the iMac and the G4, but
you'll need an adb keyboard and mouse for the G3 desktop.

The new keyboard will NOT support holding down modifier keys, like C
or shift while booting, annoyingly, on any Mac they did not come with
(I keep an old usb keyboard around for when I have to do that on mine,
since I've replaced my keyboards with the new aluminum ones, I like
them a LOT.

>  The PM G3
> has a video card in it, with DVI and VGA ports - so he can safely hook
> up a regular monitor to it, right?

Yes, same with the G4.

> Finally, I'm concerned he may not have the original system discs for
> these puppies. What kind of problems might this present to him when it
> comes time to diagnose the hardware & software and set up Admin
> privileges to manage the machines?

If they come up asking for a password, you'll need a system disk of
some sort to change it, otherwise, you should be able to at least get
in and inventory things.

System Profiler is your friend here, you can save a complete report,
which will detail hardware, system software and applications on each
one.

> And the part that scares me is, his
> friend did not know Macs, tried to shut them down while they were
> running and networked together (with apparently  a ton of stuff still
> up and running on them), and she lost her patience and power switched
> them off.

More than likely they're fine. OS X is pretty good about this. There
may be some messed up prefs, but this shouldn't have killed them
outright.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona