On Dec 10, 2008, at 5:03 PM, JimInStuttgart wrote:

> Hello all, I wonder if anyone has encountered this problem: When I
> attempt to upgrade from 10.3.9 to 10.4, the auto-check program tells
> me "System 10.4 cannot be installed on this computer."  No further
> reason given.
>
> I own a Power PC G4 which started life as a G4/400.  I've installed a
> Sonnet processor upgrade that took it to 1.8Ghz.  I've maxed the RAM
> (insofar as I know) at 1.5G.  I've added USB 2.0; I've replaced the
> original CD-ROM with a DVD burner.  I have the original internal HD of
> 10Gig and an added one of 700Gig.
>
> I bought the Tiger system disks at eBay.  The iMac install for 10.4.2
> are original; There is what looks to be a burned copy of 10.4.11 that
> reads "Update PPC only."
>
> As far as I can tell, 10.4 should install; but the neither the disc
> marked "10.4.11 for PPC only" nor the "10.4.2" for iMac will install.
> Both give the same error message.

A 10.4 retail disk will install fine on your upgraded Sawtooth.

The 10.4.2 for iMac is a disk that shipped with an iMac and is
checking to see if it is being installed on the iMac series that it
came with. Your Sawtooth doesn't pass, therefore it will not install.
Some grey machine specific disks will install on the "wrong machine",
but it is a gamble, and you lost this time.

As to the 10.4.11 Update PPC Only burned disk, it sounds like it is
an update, not a full install. I am pretty sure Apple never released
a complete 10.4.11 os disk since that update came out, iirc,  just a
few months ago, well into the Intel era and long after Apple would
have had any reason to produce a PPC 10.4.11 OS Install disk.

Len