At 2:18 PM -0800 12/30/08, Mike Baker wrote:
>can be installed in a G$ Sawtooth? Do they have to be slaved
>together? It appears they do have to slaved together, since I only
>see one ATA slot on the motherboard. I do have an external Firewire
>hard drive attached to the G4 now, but I want to dedicate that to an
>iBook I have.

It's built for two (one master, one slave), but you can expand on that.

Take out the zip drive and put one there (slaved to the CD/DVD
drive).  Who uses zip drives anymore?  Or if you have no zip drive,
then you have an empty slot just waiting for a hard drive.  The IDE
cable probably even has an unused connector.

Put in a PCI card for ATA or SATA and add two (or more) in addition
to those.  Or one of each card and two of each drive.  There's room
for six drives across the bottom if you have double-height drive
sleds.

You might want to work on the cooling if you add that many though...
and probably upgrade the power supply to handle 'em all.  At some
point it makes more sense to go with external firewire drives.

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>