On Jan 6, 2009, at 2:30 AM, Kris Tilford wrote:

> My best guess is that under whatever version of OS X you're using(?)
> you need to install Patchburn to get the DVD player recognized by the
> Apple applications. The fact that VLC and mPlayer aren't working is
> more problematic because they shouldn't require Patchburn, so perhaps
> there are other issues? Does the DVD/RW model(?) have the latest
> firmware for it? Look in System Profiler for "Revision:" to get the
> firmware version.

Patchburn for your particular OS X, takes care of the external drive
recognition.

This might be more than you're willing to ingest, but I thought I'd
share it just the same.

In my PCI Graphics G4 Yikes!, I only had an internal CD RW, and
wanted to playback DVD files from my harddrive, and as you
discovered, you cannot open DVD Player unless it finds an internal
DVD R or R/W ... so I went through the process of hacking the
DVDPlayback file as follows (I'm looking for the original www link,
but can't find it off hand).

I later found it more efficient, to simply install a DVD RW, and
didn't need this hack:

I hacked the DVDPlayback file using CoryM's suggestions for 10.4.10,
but it seems to work under 10.4.11. The first numbers needing
replacement, may be offset by 1 ...  (I'm not real adept at counting
in Hex) ...

Suggested for 10.4.10:

/System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/DVDPlayback
and the changes are:

Offset 674A8:
4082 0020 80A1 0040 3860 0000 7CA4 F430
4082 0020 38A0 0000 3860 0000 7CA4 F430

Offset 9E2C8:
4E80 0020 7C48 02A6 429F 0005 BE01 FFC0 7FE8 02A6
4E80 0020 3860 0000 4E80 0020 BE01 FFC0 7FE8 02A6

I used Hex Fiend:
http://ridiculousfish.com/hexfiend/
as my Hex Editor (Fiendishly fast).

Did have to realize the Hex address in the left column was always the
0th location, then I had to count 1, 2, 3, ..., A, B, C ... etc to
the right to find numbers like 674A8 (that's about 8 over from 674A0).

Changing the Permissions for the .../A folder and DVDPlayback files
using Get Info was essential, as was having a backup copy of
DVDPlayback (all work done on the Desktop).

When it was time to replace the DVDPlayback file, I found it
convenient to move the one in the A folder to the Trash, then copy
the modified one into the A folder, and then returning Permissions
back to the "system" for both the A folder and DVDPlayback file.

A Restart made the new DVDPlayback file active, and I could then also
empty the Trash.

Now if I could just turn off Deinterlacing, DVD Player might be
smoother ... (I'm also on a PowerPC 8500 - Sonnet G4/450 CPU,
internal SCSI CDRW (only) with Xpostfacto Tiger 10.4.11, CCCed from a
hacked eMac CD Tiger Installation to an external Firewire HD,
compliments of a Quicksilver 2002 Dual 1GHz).

Bill Connelly
artsite: http://mysite.verizon.net/moonstoneartstudio
myspace: http://www.myspace.com/moonstoneartstudio