HiYa Pete and Everyone,
   My intended Scanning Methodology - Seperate from my Media Storage
Options - is something like this. I've only done a 50 image or so
'test' run to sort out file size and physical process considerations
at this point. Some of this is based on some comparative tests of
various 'scanner driver' options.

TIFF with internal compression OFF
Photograph Fronts:
600 DPI Resolution
24 BIT Color Depth
Digital ICE OFF - It's mucking much more than it's fixing.
Unsharp Mask (in scanner software) at the High Setting because it
appears to be a well behaved and subtle implementation in my testing
up to this point.

Photograph Backs:
300 DPI Resolution
8 Bit Grey Scale
Unsharp Mask set to High

All images receive Levels Adjustments Set Manually. The sliders for
each color channel are tweaked individually so the sliders are just
past the Highest and Lowest Point on the Histogram Display for Each
Channel - ie the darkest/dimmest value is changed from zero to 9 if
the scans histogram shows no info below 10. I am cautious about
overpowering a particular channels level adjustments and making an
image look 'wierd'. I believe this is called manually clipping the
highlights and shadows.  I can find very little 'standards or good
practices' info via google or yahoo searches. This is just how I've
learned to go about getting good scan results since my first encounter
with a grayscale only flatbed back in the early nineties!

I'm scanning Fronts and Backs using the scanners auto name and
numbering setup to coordinate The front and back of image scans in my
files. I am using a file name system of '12-15-08 Scans - Back
-005.tif' where the Date describes the date the scan was made on, if
it's the front or back, and 005 is the 5th image scanned that day. The
physical process is that I arrange the photos on the scanner, do the
multiple marquee's for the different images with attendant Levels
adjustments, hit SCAN and verify the file name is correct and so is
the auto number start point. After the fronts finish scanning, I
carefully flip the images, switch to greyscale and lower resolution,
and make sure the file name is changed and the auto number start point
is rolled back to the right point.

My theory is to scan the fronts and backs in order to capture things
written on the backs of the photo's themselves. I am physically
scanning ALL the backs - even those with nothing marked on them -
because it was more efficient to just flip the images over to scan all
the backs with a filename and auto number adjustment than coordinate
which image with stuff written on it matched up with which file name
and number and manually set each name for each scan that needed to be
made. By scanning every damn picture back it makes it a lot simpler
and faster to get the file names right, if I muff the filename having
scanned the back becomes totally meaningless as source of information.
Also scanning ALL of them helps avoid missing photo backs that I want
scanned. At the conclusion I intend to simply delete all the scans of
photo backs nobody wrote anything on. :-)

This is the extent of my plan to this point. I'll be kicking off the
scanning soon, so valuable suggestions on this side of my project
would be really cool so I don't have to rescan stuff! :-)

My Intention/Plan is to have 'picture naming' memory parties with
various family members in order to view the photo's and add the
appropriate info to the image files. Each images specific info will be
kept integrat to each specific image file. I haven't researched the
exact way to put the info in the tiff's themselves, but I'm feeling
confident that the EXIF info I love in my Digital Photography are part
of an international standards setup and I can easily access and use
that process using Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture, and the like. This
whole name/date/event side of the project is a work in progress at
this point.

Richard