On Feb 9, 2009, at 3:48 PM, jonas ulrich wrote:

> I found this test quite interesting. Me and my sister are addicted
> to a tv show called Prison Break. She owns the first two seasons,
> so I decided to make backup copies on my computer via Handbrake.
> There are so many discs that I decided to get four computers
> together and rip one disc on each. I used: Powermac G4 533MHZ
> 1.25GB ram, Powermac G4 DP 500MHZ 512MB ram, Powermac G3 beige with
> G4 500MHZ upgrade 640MB ram, and a PowerBook G4 1.67GHZ 1GB Ram. I
> have tried many different presets on handbrake, and finally decided
> to use the iPod High-Rez but I uped the bit rate to 3500, and the
> video size to the maximum possible. Each computer has a que of 4
> episodes. Once the first episode finished on the powerbook i played
> it to make sure it was going to work. The episode was incredible
> quality, but it was choppy. Keep in mind that handbrake is still
> ripping other episodes as I played the other episode. I copied the
> episode over to the powermac G4 533MHZ and it played even worse.
> Then i copied the episode over to the Powermac G4 DP 500MHZ and it
> played perfectly!!!!! How did the powermac play it better than the
> powerbook???
> -Jonas

Take a look at activity monitor. See what percentage of the
processors it is actually using.

While I have not used Handbrake, my wild guess from your description
is that it does not share processor cycles nicely. It is using all
the cycles it can on one processor.

Say it is chewing up 90% of the 1.67 and 500 processors. That only
leaves 10% to play, which is pretty pitiful to play a video. On the
dual 533, OS X forces it to play nicer between the processors. So
that it may use 90% of one, it still leave the other processor free
to play the video.

HTH,
Len