On Feb 23, 12:12 pm, Dan <dantear...@gmail.com> wrote:

> At 8:43 AM -0800 2/23/2009, Gary D. wrote:

> >I open the Privacy tab and drag the volumes into the window -nothing
> >happens. I click on the + and select the volumes - nothing happens.
> >If I drag the normal volumes into the window, everything works as
> >advertised. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a corruption of
> >some kind?
>
> The spotlight system prefs are mostly broken.  Besides - it doesn't
> stop the indexing, it just suppresses some of the search results.
> Generally, a waste of time.
>
> Instead, disable the indexing using mdutil - the direct interface to
> Spotlight.
>
>  From your admin account, issue these commands in Terminal:

SNIP

Dan:

This addresses my concern also.  There really should be some utility
that can help consumer users with this issue, and also the issue of
corrupted indexes for which you and Bruce so often repeat the three
terminal commands in these lists.  This could become an added feature
of OnyX  and Cocktail.

In the meantime, I hope these two commands can survive future OS
updates.  But I guess they would be lost in any Archive and Install or
Erase and Install for upgrades.

Hmmm, Dan.  Perhaps you could write up a new utility and make a few
shareware bucks.  Call it "Spot-L Control"?

Al Poulin