Bill Connelly writes,

<After you install a Mac OS 9 System Folder, the Classic preference
pane should be available the next time you open System Preferences.
If it's still not available, try opening a Classic application, and
then logging out and logging in again.

To install a Mac OS 9 System Folder, click the link below.

See also

Installing a Mac OS 9 System Folder to use with the Classic environment

Classic>

OK -- as it happened, I went on with my moving data into the machine and
recustomizing activities (why not -- an Archive Reinstall will preserve
it if I have to do one, I figure).... and yes, out of curiosity, when I
put one of my Classic apps' icons in the Dock and double clicked it,
Classic started up (but the app itself blew out, it wouldn't open, I'll
need to investigate that later). And at THAT point, when I went to System
Prefs, I DID finally see a Classic pane. I went in, checked it out, saw
that it was set properly to "call on" the OS 9 System folder I'd moved
in, but, it was still missing the option to put the little "9" icon in
the menu bar. I could have sworn I got the little "9" in the menu bar on
both my G4 originally, and then on the iBook when I first got it and set
it up, by doing something in System Prefs Classic pane...maybe I'm senile
and don't really remember, but OK.

Somehow your links didn't make it to your reply, Bill, but that's OK,
I'll go to Mac Help myself and look up those topics.

Also...

<I think you have to install the OS 9 (on a separate partition would
be my preference), and make sure it is Blessed. Don't remember the
details, but it all occurs under the Installation OS 9 CD control as
I would do it.>

No, you don't HAVE TO put OS 9 on its own partition -- it's BETTER to
keep OS 9 separate from OS X when you plan on sometimes actually BOOTING
the machine in OS 9, and in fact that's how I originally set up my iBook.
However, it's not actually necessary to do it that way, particularly not
in Tiger I'd read on this list some time back that earlier versions of OS
X would futz up if they were "too close" to OS 9, but not Tiger When I
got the iBook in July 2007, I had THOUGHT I'd need to boot it in 9
occasionally, so I gave it a small (8 GB) OS 9 boot partition. As it
happened though, I never needed to boot in 9 on the iBook at all (the
only times I ever actually did boot the iBook in 9 was when I installed
to test it, and then once last night immediately prior to the nuke and
pave to see if it still worked, and yes it booted in 9) -- I only need to
run Classic on it.  It's the *G4* I have to be able to boot in 9 with
sometimes (and still can't, dammit! yet another still-unresolved issue,
sigh)...And, on the G4, the OS 9 for booting is on a *different HD* from
the OS X, which the Mac would treat as "on another partition," meaning
it's OK.

Because my iBook only has a 30 GB HD and I no longer have room for stuff
I never use on it (such as a separate OS 9 boot partition), that's why I
decided to nuke and pave it last night, to get rid of that unused
partition and do some "clean up and streamline" as well as update certain
things I'll be needing to use more in the near future.

All righty then, off to go to Mac Help. Thanks for the tip, Bill!

~Yersinia.

________

"Politicians are those who deal with the problems which would not exist
if they didn't exist."