I got a MDD several months ago, one that had not been given a quiet
PSU. I started looking for new fans right away. I compared the specs
on a lot of fans and I decided the Sinlenx Pro series had the best air
flow to noise ratio. I put 2 in the PSU and a 120mm in the case. My
dual 1 GHz now runs at around 65 degrees C (which is about 5 degrees
hotter than it ran with the stock fans). I tried a Gelid variable
speed 120mm case fan and it does keep the temps about 5 degrees cooler
but it almost always runs at full speed so it is louder than the
SilenX fan but still quieter than the OEM Delta fan. This article
shows how to replace the fans but since it was published newer,
quieter fans have come on the market. I personally think the SilenX is
the best. I purchased mine from that "well known auction site".

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/g4_mirrored_drive_doors/noise_reduction/g4_ddr_noise_reduction.html