On Mar 10, 2009, at 9:28 AM, John Musbach wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Bruce Johnson
> <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu> wrote:
>> No, Win2K cannot write to HFS+ drives; back when I ran Win2K,  I had
>> to use MacDrive to get that functionality.
>
> You all might be thinking about this:
> http://windows.stanford.edu/Public/Infrastructure/MacConfig.html.
> Windows 2000 didn't have the ability to mount HFS+ volumes directly,
> but it did have the ability to provide AFP shares which supposedly
> also had support for mac resource forks.

Yes. Services for Macintosh, or as I called it 'Here, let me <Bleep>
You in the <Bleep>, Apple...Love Microsoft'

As with virtually everything Microsoft, their AFP implementation
sucked giant green donkey ones.

Upon a server restart, they recreated some friggin' database linking
files in the AFP share to what was actually on the disk, how long this
took was dependent on how large the shared volume was. It would take
two or more hours on our 750 gig (at the time) workgroups share.

If Windows clients changed the a directory that was already scanned
while this was going on, you would end up with files on the Windows
share that would not appear on the AFP share. Ever, until we restarted
the server and rebuilt the database.

So for two hours after any reboot, we had to keep our file server
disconnected from the network, until that one process finished. THAT
made the Mac users EXTREMELY popular in this office.

If too many files got put on at once, this would also cause the
database to get out of sync.

Oh yeah.

The Windows AFP implementation is limited to 32 character filenames,
and 256 character max path lengths. They went WAAAAY out of their way
to really, truly suckrox on that technology.

I was SOOOOOO freaking happy that OSX supported SMB out of the box, I
danced for joy the day we turned off our last OS 9 client, and I could
finally dispense with DAVE. There was a third party AFP share software
for Win2K (And Win2k3) that solved most of these issues but it was
several hundred dollars, and we could never justify the added costs
and support issues for the (then) handful of Macs on our network.

Now of course, we just use SMB and connect to the regular Windows
shares and not have any issues, once we hit 10.4. SMB was problematic
in 10.2 and 10.3, but even when it made me reboot a couple times a day
it was better than the Windows AFP crap.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona