At 5:11 PM -0700 3/24/09, Jonas Ulrich wrote:
>I just bought two Xserve G4's. They are on there way and i had some
>questions. I know you can get the apple drive modules and boot off
>one of those right? I don't have any adm's but would still like to
>use the internal ata 100/133. Is there a way to do that without
>using an adm? I don't care if there is a way to mount the hard drive.
>
>Xserve G4 DP1GHZ & Xserve DP1.33GHZ
>

>-Jonas

You might be in luck.   Someone on LEMSwap just posted this the other
day (apologies for the cross-post).  Perhaps he can do what's needed
for xserve G4s too:

From: Donald Hall <lems...@ninjaproduction.com>
To: lems...@googlegroups.com
Subject: FS: Xserve G5 Custom SATA Power Wiring Harness (No Trays Required!)

I'm offering the service of custom built hard drive power cables for
use in Xserve G5s. These cables plug directly into the motherboard and
take the place of the normal hot-swap backplane in the Xserve. With
the backplane removed, you're free to insert any SATA hard drive
without the need for an Apple Drive Tray, saving several hundred
dollars. All you'll need will be SATA cables to connect your hard
drives to the motherboard or to a PCI card, whichever you prefer.
These power cables also allow you to install 3 or more hard drives in
a Cluster Node Xserve.

So far I've built two of these cables, one for my own Xserve and
another for a friend. My Xserve Cluster Node has three 1.5TB 3.5" hard
drives in the drive bays connected to a Highpoint Tech RocketRAID card
as well as a 2.5" SATA hard drive in the PCI bay that is connected to
the motherboard as a boot drive.

I'm able to build a cable to power any number of drives, from one to
three in the drive bays and there's room for up to two 2.5" drives in
the PCI bay.

Since needs will vary, I'll offer 'build to order' pricing.

$30 - Single Drive Power Harness
$20 - Each Additional Drive

****Serious Inquiries Only Please****

When considering the prices, keep in mind that I am building the
cables completely from scratch. Each connector and contact has to be
bought, every wire cut, every crimp has to be done. There are no ugly
splices, no electrical tape, no soldering.

If you'd like to see other work I've done, please check out http://atxg4.com
   where I sell adapters that allow the use of ATX power supplies as
replacement parts in G4 towers.

I cannot build cables for Xserve G4s or Intel Xserves as they rely on
their backplanes for other functions.

Paypal strongly preferred.
Ypsilanti, MI 48198
Ebay: the_grim_ninja (950+, 100% positive)

-Donald Hall
--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>