From: dc <dbc...@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Multiple HDs in Sawtooth
To: "G3-5 List" <g3-5-list@googlegroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 4:53 AM

You didn't say, but putting in 3 drives I'm guessing you are thinking
of a RAID setup?
I have a single 15K/15MB cache SCSI hard drive in a Sawtooth. Using a
fast drive with a big cache gives a very nice R/W speed without going
to multiple RAID drives. The big advantages are:
1) Less heat- fast SCSI drives get really hot and the case design of
the Sawtooth isn't that great for venting heat from the OEM hard drive
sleds. I put my drive on a cooler and mounted it on top of the optical
drive, where the PSU fan can pull the heat straight out. You don't
need Apple OEM gear, just buy a good quality LVD SCSI cable with an
active terminator.
2) In a RAID 0 setup if you lose any one of your drives you lose the
whole system. And if you try to cram 3 or 4 hard drives into a
Sawtooth the odds are good that the heat will kill one of them. I had
two 15K drives running as RAID 0 in a Digital Audio and, despite each
have an additional fan, one went bad. I think it was still running too
hot. Now with just a single SCSI drive it's been running reliably and
I barely notice any real-world performance difference in the R/W
speed.
If you want to run 3 fast SCSI drives it might be better to use a card
with good external ports, like a UL3D or UL4D, and put them in an
external housing. The drives and the Sawtooth will run a lot cooler.