On 6 Apr 2009, at 23:39:57 PDT, Kris Tilford wrote:

>> On 6 Apr 2009, at 22:39:32 PDT, PETE wrote:
>>
>>> I have some old photos without negatives. I want to transfer them
>>> to my mac without losing quality. (I sold my scanner several years
>>> ago!).
>
> On Apr 7, 2009, at 1:06 AM, Ken Daggett wrote:
>
>> A scanner is the only reasonable way I know of.
>
> Another way is to photograph them with a digital camera. Not as easy
> as the scanner for constant lighting, focus, etc, but it can work.
>
>> Buy a good one and get to work.
>
> I don't know about needing a "good one"? It seems to me that any old
> scanner that you can make work with your computer will be good enough
> quality unless you're needing special software bundled with high-end
> scanners to remove artifacts, correct faded colors or focus, etc.
>
> I've bought USB scanners for between $2 and $10 total that can scan
> 4,800 dpi (ppi). I haven't compared the "quality" of the output, but
> somehow I imagine it's like .mp3 audio, I doubt the average person
> could see the difference between an average scan and a good one (of
> identical resolution & bit depth).
>
> One other thought, scanner output is typically gigantic files that
> would need to be converted into some sort of compressed format,
> whereas most digital cameras can generate a reasonably compressed file
> immediately. The general rule-of-thumb I've heard is 200 pixels-per-
> inch minimally, meaning if you had an original photo that was 8 x 10"
> you'd need to be at 1,600 x 2,000 pixels minimally for the entire
> image. Most scanners would be many, many multiples higher than this,
> and you might want to dial down the quality of a scanner to get a
> smaller output file, but if you were photographing the prints you'd
> likely want to frame the image in nearer the highest quality available
> on the camera.
----------------
Well, my "good one" is an Epson Perfection 3200 Pro that I got at
a GoodWill Outlet for $5.00. It's main advantage is the software
(downloaded from Epson) and you can scan at whatever resolution
you want. It is FireWire and fast.

I really don't believe, especially for any significant number, that
I would enjoy photographing various sized photos with a digital camera.
trying to hold them flat and square and getting good results would try
my patience. The photos would most likely go back in the shoe box!

Ken
http://mysite.verizon.net/res7gt1w/stackomacs