On Apr 10, 2009, at 1:21 PM, schrödinger's cat wrote:

<snip, system froze, yanking power was the only choise>

> i left it unplugged for 20 min to cool down.  when i plugged the power
> cord back in and tried to start up, no chime, the power LED indicator
> on the front panel lit dimly for a few seconds, then flickered rapidly
> between normal brightness and dim, then came on full brightness, and
> after a few more seconds, a screen i have never seen on a mac
> appeared.  it looked similar to an old DOS boot screen.  it had some
> info about the machine, and a blinking cursor on a command line with a
> simple carat (>), and instructions to type either "mac-boot" or "shut-
> down" and hit return.

The system booted right into Open Firmware. This is a Not Good sign.

>  i've put the original system disc in the DVD drive, and
> it spins up for a few minutes, then ultimately spins down and self-
> ejects the disc.  it's done this three times now.

Before you go any further, Open it up and unplug the hard drive data
cable.

Unplug the Optical drive data cable, and start it up. Hold down
command-option-p-r and let it bong three times, then let it boot. If
what happened is what I suspect happened (NVRAM is corrupted) it
should go to the flashing question mark, but in a more normal sequence.

If it does, shut it down and retry booting.

If it still fails, yank the hard drive and test it on another system
to see if it's scrambled or not.

One of these <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002
 > will work very well for this purpose. If the drive comes up and
Disk Utility on the other Mac recognizes it, do a repair. If it says
that it is ok, or only had minor problems, the issue may be a hardware
failure on the G5.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona