On Apr 22, 2009, at 10:29 AM, jensid wrote:

>> This is what I have
>>  Model Name:       Power Mac G5
>>

>> We would like to make it a server for 2 users adding more users
>> later.

> Can it be done without spending $999.00 on X-Server?

If you just want it as a file depository, yes. You just need to allow
the users to connect to the Mac to a shared folder.

> I wanted to add a larger internal harddrive but am unsure what to buy
> and what is compatible with the system.

Any SATA 3.5" HD will work in your G5. They have recently released a
2TB drive, iirc.

> And leave the current
> harddrive in and in tact. Please advise if this is a sensible way to
> do it. The goal is to take all the project/job file and have them in
> one place rather than 2 sep computers and both users be able to access
> all files.

That will work fine, as long as there is enough free space on the drive.

Just make sure you have a good backup in place for when the HD or
computer dies.

Len