On May 15, 2009, at 9:35 PM, dorayme wrote:

> But one thing that is puzzling is how to find out the native
> resolution of my screens without digging out the documentation. There
> seems no Mac software that tells this?

On a modern card connected to a modern monitor, the software reads
the monitor which returns its various resolutions and maximum
frequencies.

These resolutions and frequencies are presented as options in the
Displays control panel.

If a particular resolution or a particular frequency is not shown, it
is not supported.

Usually, you are given nearly all of the "usual suspect" resolutions,
but not necessarily all of the frequencies.

On my present monitor, a 23" LCD, I am given up to 1920 x 1200, bit
this resolution is a tad unstable on the right side, so I back down
to 1680 x 1050, and at 1680 x 1050 I am given the frequency options
of 56, 59 and 60 Hz. I selected 60 Hz.

The corresponding "About This Mac ..." data is:

ATY,Rage128Pro:

   Chipset Model:       ATY,Rage128Pro
   Type:        Display
   Bus: AGP
   Slot:        SLOT-1
   VRAM (Total):        16 MB
   Vendor:      ATI (0x1002)
   Device ID:   0x5046
   Revision ID: 0x0000
   ROM Revision:        113-72701-130
   Displays:
MB24W:
   Resolution:  1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
   Depth:       32-bit Color
   Core Image:  Not Supported
   Main Display:        Yes
   Mirror:      Off
   Online:      Yes
   Quartz Extreme:      Not Supported

Bottom line: there are a number of "native resolutions", and within
each, there are a number of "native frequencies".