Um, I think by "System 7", he was referring to the REAL System 7...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_System_7

And as for the whole compatibility thing, Apple announced Intel-only
way back when they announced Snow Leopard.  It's not a surprise.  I
actually just finally upgraded my MDD dual 867 to a first-gen dual 2.0
GHz G5 (like, last week) and it's very pleasantly speedy.  I'm still
going to get an Intel MBP, however, because I want to do iPhone dev.

You've got to understand this about what's going on at Apple: all of
their machines have been Intel-only for a couple of years and they are
doing major code updates to their operating system.  It's SO much work
to do major updates on two completely different architectures (ie PPC
and Intel), it just doesn't make any sense for them to continue
supporting the PPC stuff.  Keep in mind, I'm usually four or five
years behind the curve, and I'd love to run the latest and greatest on
my G5, but I can completely understand why Apple would drop support
for them aside from security maintenance and bug fixes.

Josh