From: Al Poulin <alfred.pou...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Apple airport cards frequency band(s)
To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Date: Monday, June 8, 2009, 9:05 PM

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, Jun 8 2009 1:03 pm
From: psufa...@yahoo.com

I have the older Airport Express Base station (802.1b) I am thinking of buying
a dual band Airport Extreme Base Station. It transmit on the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz
frequency bands. I have been unable to find any info on whether an Airport or
Airport Extreme wireless card can operate on the 5Ghz frequency band. I know
they can operate on the 2.4Ghz frequency band. If they can't operate on the
5Ghz frequency band, then it makes little sense to get the dual band Airport
Extreme Base Station and I should get the regular Airport Extreme Base Station
or Airport Express Base Station, which both can run at 802.1n. Any thoughts or
answers?
Look here for a
start:http://www.macworld.com/article/140685/2009/05/wifi_spectrumbands.html
And look at the Apple technical specs for both the old and new base stations.
Channels 1 to 11 are in the 2.4GHz band.  Channels 36 to 48 are in the 5GHz
band.
Al Poulin