On 6/27/09 7:34 PM, insightinmind of billycarm...@verizon.net sent

> On Jun 27, 2009, at 1:33 PM, leighkimmel wrote:
>

>> Recently the PRAM battery on my faithful old G3/233 desktop died. When
>> I put in a new battery and started it up, I suddenly had no sound. No
>> startup chime, no system alerts, no music from CD, nothing. When I go
>> into the Monitors & Sound control panel, it shows a blank for sound
>> output, as if it doesn't even know it has the capacity to handle
>> sound.
>>
>> Does anybody have any experience with beige G3's losing their sound
>> when the PRAM battery is changed? I'd really like to be able to play
>> CD's on it while I'm working -- I can listen to Internet radio on the
>> G4 laptop (the machine I'm using to type this), but it tends to get
>> hot if run for too long.
>

> Is the PRAM battery in the right direction?
>
> Did you also do cmd-opt-P-R ?
>
> All of this resets audio preferences I think ... but I only have
> experience with Mac Plus, a Performa, PM8500/9500, Yikes!, DA, QS
> 2002 ... nothing in between ...
>

> Bill Connelly

Yes, to all of the above re: Bill's suggestion; also, there is a reset
button on the beige G3 motherboard (iirc) that should be pushed. The most
helpful thing to do is to reseat the personality card (i.e. The audio card),
as I learned when our music lab was populated by these units. I can remember
one time in particular that none of this worked for one of our
still-under-warranty G3/233 desktops; the Apple technician on the phone had
me yank and reseat the voltage regulator card, then zap the PRAM - that did
the trick; that was the only (and most extreme
HTH,
Dana