On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Al Poulin <alfred.pou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, you may get different results depending on whether you are using
> the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz band.  Shouldn't the 5GHz be faster?

My understanding from the little I've read about this over at
www.smallnetbuilder.com is that 5GHz can be better if there are
sources of interference in the 2.4GHz band. (Typical examples are
cordless phones or a microwave or a baby monitor.)

It's also potentially better in the sense of "not interfering" if you
want to use 802.11g and 802.11n simultaneously. If your 802.11n is in
the 5 GHz band it can't interfere with 802.11g.

5 GHz is potentially worse in that you apparently won't get as much
range using it, at least with current radios.

The throughput using either band should be roughly equivalent. You can
potentially get a slight throughput improvement by using 40 MHz
bandwidth (channel bonding?) versus the standard specified default of
20 MHz. But that comes at the cost, at least in the 2.4 GHz band, of
greater interference with existing protocols. (The WI-Fi standard
default of using 20 MHz is sometimes referred to informally as a "good
neighbor policy".)

There are two other problems with using 40 MHz. First, it appears to
only work well close in. As the distance of the client increases, the
throughput relationship can flip and 40 MHz can perform *worse* than
with 20 MHz.

The other problem is that your wireless client just may not support
it. If this is the case then there is clearly no reason to enable it
since it could only make things worse, not better.

Apparently my early 2008 white MacBook does *not* support 40 MHz
bandwidth, only the default of 20 MHz. This surprised me.

> And with the early 2009 AE, would this be the automatic default
> band selected by the box?

Who knows? That's at least one of the reasons I'd like to read a
review of the latest AE by a more comprehensive testing site like
smallnetbuilder.

I believe they have requested test hardware from Apple but have not
heard anything back. I find this strange because Apple has supplied
them with test equipment in the past. I found at least the following
(historical) reviews.

October 15, 2007 AirPort Extreme dual-band/single radio 11n
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30188/96/

July 16, 2007 Apple TV http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30095/80/

December 17, 2004 Apple AirPort Express 802.11g
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/24714/80/

If you know of a review of the new early 2009 dual radio AE that goes
into more technical details than the usual online "review", I'd really
appreciate being pointed towards it.

-irrational john