WAS topic: "Linux on Power Mac G5?"

On Aug 10, 2009, at 11:48 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> But OS X is Unix...install the latest Java in /opt/java or someplace,
> change your JAVA_HOME env var and you're golden. You'll have to run
> some java apps the hard way, via starting them in Terminal, but
> they'll work otherwise.

I don't think this works? AFAIK the latest Intel Java is a different
version (Java SE6 1.6.0_13) than than latest PPC version (Java SE5
1.5.0_19). I don't think there is any why to get version 1.6.0_13 to
run on a PPC Mac. I've tried hard because I use a specific Java
application (ISS Transit
Prediction:http://pictures.ed-morana.com/ISSTransits/predictions/)
  that requires Java SE6 1.6. Luckily for me, the developer had an
older version that works with Java SE5 1.5, which he recently posted
because of my predicament. Unfortunately I've also seen many newer
Java applets on the web for various physics emulations that won't run
because of this Java version issue.

On my G5 PPC in Terminal I type the command:

java -version

and see:

java version "1.5.0_19"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_19-
b02-304)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_19-137, mixed mode, sharing)

If you know specific instructions that can update to Java SE6 1.6.0_13
on a PPC Mac I'm very interested, please post.