Hello,
I have g4 mini 1.2ghz, 1gig, 40 gig  that is now presenting with a
loud screech instead of the nice startup chime. It sends no signal to
the monitor, isn't attempting to boot, and is unresponsive to any
keyboard commands, and the lights in the keyboard don't light (caps
lock, num lock, etc). Attempted to start with all connections at rear
removed, but just got screeching 'chime of death' - no difference at
all.

I suspect the mini may have been damaged in trip to girlfriends home
for it and me to stay for awhile. It  was flaky upon setup and still
flaky when booting from a recent 'superduper' backup. (was freezing up
once boot sequence and launch software finished loading). Shutting off
yahoo messenger launching at login stabilized that problem, but the
mini became quite flaky attempting to configure to access the home
wifi and I decided to go for a nuke and pave of internal drive with a
fresh tiger install.

Tiger install was ruined when drive read head impacted dvd and left a
substantial donut of scratches on it after a clumsy accident by me
almost knocked drive to floor - it was dangling though.

Mini did boot from my clone and was working for a few minutes off the
clone, but after attempting to restart from a cold shutdown an hour
later, all I get is chime of death screeching.

What do I do?

I posted to mini list, but only advice so far was to have install dvd
polished - but if mini is just screeching and not attempting to boot,
I could even purchase a ten pack of install dvd's (and in my opinion)
I'd just have a nice matched set of coasters. :-)

I haven't heard this sound since I was in college and putzing with a
Mac II I found at a garage sale.

I suspect and 'think' the physical hardware of my mini is busted
somehow.

I am outside my realm of technical knowledge and experience here - the
mini doesn't seem to be interacting with any of the ports because the
monitor isn't responding in any fashion during attempt to turn mini on
and the usb wired keyboard isn't receiving power or signal of any kind
(caps lock light isn't lighting when attempted).

Richard