At 11:38 AM -0700 8/16/2009, gsacks wrote:
>On Aug 16, 9:33 am, Dan <dantear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  At 9:35 PM -0700 8/15/2009, gsacks wrote:
>  > >733 mhz Quicksilver
>>  >bad RAM and a bad hard drive
>>
>>  Both were bad?!
>
>Yes, one stick of memory was bad (as per memtest) and the hard drive
>had errors that I couldn't correct (I don't have any 3rd party
>software for this, and I had spare drives anyway).
>
>Couldn't bad memory cause disk problems?

While it's possible, I guess, that corrupted data from a bad stick of
memory could be written to a HD, thus corrupting the file system
thereon.... There is no way a bad memory stick can physically damage
a HD and vice versa.

>  > >for a couple of months. After that it wouldn't start up at all -- the
>>  >light on the switch comes on and the fans spin for a few seconds, then
>>  >nothing. I checked the voltages on the power supply and they seem
>>  >fine. From various sources on the web, I surmised that either the
>>  >logic board or the processor was dead. Fortunately, I have a working
>>  >QS 2002 with an 800 mhz processor. I swapped processors, but then
>>  >neither computer worked. The original non-working one behaved the same
>>  >as before. The QS 2002 with the swapped processor started with no
>>  >chime and no video. There's nothing wrong with the 800 mhz processor
>>  >-- I put it back in the QS 2002 and it works fine. I'm thinking that
>>  >both the logic board and the processor are bad. How likely is this?
>>  >Any other suggestions for diagnosing the problem(s)?
>>
>  > Have you replaced the PRAM battery?
>
>I didn't replace it, but it checks out OK on a voltmeter.

Testing with a voltmeter is insufficient - that doesn't measure the
power availble under load.

Replace it with a new one.

If the machine doesn't bong after doing so, then disconnect things -
simplify the system.  Remove all extra cards, all memory, disconnect
the HD(s).  With the memory missing, you should at least get multiple
beeps, the indication from the self-test that it can't find the
memory.  If that doesn't work, try reseating the processor.  If that
doesn't work, the problem could be the PS.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.