Hello d p!

I was just saying that it might be a better choice to get a used QuickSilver
or Mirrored Drive Doors and use one of those instead.

Anything you can put into a Sawtooth/Gigabit Ethernet/Digital Audio will also
fit into a QuickSilver/MDD - with the advantage of an overall better
performance. Only with RAM you would have to check. The MDD uses different
RAM than all predecessors, but the Quicksilver can also use 100 MHz RAM (at
least mine does, QS 2001 733 MHz, now Dual-800 MHz) from Sawtooth and Gigabit
Ethernet.

I've seen a 933 MHz Quicksilver go for less than $75 USD on eBay. The Dual
models are a little bit more expensive.

But you're right, I don't know what you're up to. If you are eger to invest
$60 to $100 in a CPU upgrade card for 1.2 GHz, you could go for either one.

> 1. Mercury Extreme G4/1.2GHz w/2MB L3 Cache. (I'm not sure the correct
> model#)
I've looked at the OWC pages and the "OWC item number" is OWCMEG42M1200.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEG42M1200/

> 2. sonnet encore st g4 1200/2m (SG4-1200-2M)
Never used a Sonnet Encore. Anyway I've also heard only good about it. (But:
no jumpers, and check if you have to update the firmware in any way...)

Left with only the choice to upgrade you could go with any one of the two you
mentioned. Generally speaking. If you gather more information about the
Sonnet you will be able to decide more precisely what you want.

Please report back what you do - might interest some more people here.

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250