I seem to remember something about the power management chip getting itself
into a high current mode which drains the battery. Can't really remember.

Can you check for a good voltage on the battery you have? Find out if it has
been discharged. I would try removing the power cord AND the battery
and let the machine sit overnight. Then put in the battery (if OK) wait two
minutes and then plug it in.

Just a but of electronic juju :-)