Clark Martin writes,

<Do you mean you set Startup Prefrences to boot in OS 9?

Classic is OS 9 running under OS X.>

If you're booted in OS 9 and having the problems then it isn't any
plist.  You have an OS 9 problem.  I'd boot in OS 9 and start with
holding down extensions to see if things work okay.  If it does then use
Extensions manager to enable OS 9 Base extensions only.  Then start
turning other extensions one by one.>

I'm sorry if I was unclear. Yes, I know Classic is OS 9 running under OS
X -- I'm running in Tiger 10.4.9 and occasionally need to use older apps
which require OS 9 but will run in Tiger if Classic is on. I don't boot
in OS 9 anymore because for reasons I could never figure out, my
Quicksilver stopped booting in 9 -- so I can't boot directly in OS 9.
But until recently, I WAS able to boot Classic and run those apps in
Classic under Tiger.

In the System Preferences Panel, the Classic pane offers you a choice to
  start Classic at login and you select an OS 9 System folder from which
to do it. So that's what I mean when I say my machine is set to boot
Classic at login -- if I shut down the Mac, Classic boots and I can use
it, but it doesn't STAY up, and if I try to start it up without shutting
down and rebooting the machine again, in clicking the little 9 for
Classic in my menu bar, I see an entire startup sequence for 9/Classic
but it doesn't actually boot -- the little 9 is light instead of dark
and those apps won't run.

So I'd been thinking maybe Classic Prefs got corrupted, and was going to
try fixing it by deleting the .plist, but I have no idea which of the
zillion .plist's are for Classic....

~Yersinia.