On Sep 16, 2009, at 9:20 PM, nestamicky wrote:

> U2W. On 09-09-15 05:48 PM, Len Gerstel wrote:
>> **IF** the card is Mac compatible and IF it is OS X Bootable. The
>> card
>> you linked to does not appear to be Mac compatible according to
>> adaptec at:
>>
>> http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/_eol/aaa_raid/AAA-131U2/
>>
>> You may want to hit the swap list for a Mac compatible card.
>>
>> Also, if you have never used a sever class drive in a desktop system,
>> watch out for heat. Those 36GB 10K drives get HOT.
> I have another card that I found here but I can't seem to find it in
> the
> link that you've sent me. So, I'm putting the numbers here: AHA-
> 2940U2W. Would this be bootable, do you know.

I am pretty sure there are both Mac and PC versions of this card. Take
a look at the sticker that says AHA-2940U2W. I believe the Mac version
has Mac printed on the sticker.

I had one of these in my OS9 days and it was bootable. Just remember
that Apple has been letting SCSI die a slow death and has had less and
less support for it in each version of X.

> Am I getting it clear that there's no clear advantage to putting the
> OS
> on the SCSI disks?

If the disks are faster, then it will be advantageous to put your OS
on it. Back when I had a 9GB (pretty sure 10K) drive on one in a beige
G3, a modern (at the time) 120GB ata on the main onboard interface out
performed the SCSI drive.

> Dan, shall we continue the discussion about having the SWAP files on
> the
> SCSIs? It's an exciting idea I'd dare to pursue.

How much ram do you have? The more ram the less important the swap
file is.

Len