At 3:53 PM -0500 11/26/2009, John Musbach wrote:
>On 11/26/09, Paul Stamsen <pjs...@bresnan.net> wrote:
>>And I'm getting a ******ed pop-ups from NetFlicks  or  a "pop-in"
>>from CNet TechTracker. What would you folks suggest to combat them?
>
>Disconnect from the Internet. Seriously, disk space, bandwidth, and
>computing power, even today, is very expensive--if you can't
>financially support the websites you use then you shouldn't be
>expecting the service they provide you in exchange. I hate people who
>steal financially from those who rely on ad revenue to stay afloat
>with ad blockers. How selfish, what--do you all think these people
>grow money on trees?

There are many ways for sites to make money with advertising.  There
is simply NO NEED for a site to hammer us with ads that are resource
hogging, intrusive, offensive, animated, etc etc etc.

With a hardcopy magazine, you can quickly flip past any offensive ad
- and still enjoy the magazine.  Flash and ad blockers let us do the
same thing with web sites.  That's all.

As for denying them income?  Oh please.  Ad rates are crashing
because people don't click on these offensive presentations.  If you
like the site and want them to make money then CLICK on the ads.
Vote with your mouse tho - be selective - click on the inoffensive
static ones.  Don't reward the advertiser's bad behavior.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.