At 3:24 PM +0000 12/8/2009, Liam Proven wrote:
>Unfortunately, on my 10.4-only iBook G4, I am starting to find apps
>that only support 10.5+ now - such as Growl. I may be forced to
>upgrade just to be able keep my apps current. :¬(

Growl is a bad example.  The 1.1.6 release (demon
and panel) works just fine on Tiger and will
continue to do so.  Their recent update push
error notwithstanding, the new 1.2.x frameworks
being distributed to developers will talk to
1.1.6 just fine.  It's just the 1.2 demon and
panel that requires Leopard and newer - and it
doesn't really add any capabilities to the mix.
To make it seem more complicated, they are having
some short-term problems, because the frameworks
their current 1.2.0 developer distribution can
crash on Tiger (in apps that support Tiger and
newer).  They're fixin that right now, tho.

A better example is Firefox.  The upcoming 3.6 is
the last that will run on Tiger.  For 3.7 and
it's bazillion new features, the developer team
has already updated to Apple's newer frameworks,
that require Leopard or SL.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.