On Dec 15, 2009, at 9:36 AM, John Carmonne wrote:

>>> Morning,
>>> Anyone had any experience with these? I'm pretty tempted. Things
>>> holding me back are the need to give them another $13 or
>>> something to
>>> be able to run 10.4.11, and that I could almost bag a complete G4
>>> system for the money on fleabay.
>>> It sure would be nice to boost one of the smurfs though
>>>

>> I have been wanting too grab two myself, one for my smurftower and
>> one for my Molar Mac. If you get one, lemme know how it runs :)
>> On Dec 15, 2009, at 6:14 AM, Mike wrote:

> If it would run like my iMacs G3 700 MHz I think you'll be very
> happy with 10.4.11 on the machine.
>
> I would like to stuff something like this in a Cube to get it up to
> 1.8 dual. But those are too much $$.
>
> New to the list, What is a SmurfFlower, MolarMac??
>
> John  wtmm

 From what I remember, many 1GHz G3s slow down the system bus speed
from 100MHz to 66MHz, so it does not give you the full 1GHz speed
benefit, but still significantly faster than a 550MHz upgrade.

If you have a love of your smurf tower and just want to keep it going
out of nostalgia, fine. But if the price is close on ebay, and
probably even better on the Swap List, I would go for the G4.
Preferably a QS with a 867 processor or better to run 10.5 natively,
but there are hacks to get 10.5 running on any G4.

Smurf Tower (not flower) is the affectionate nick name given to the
blue and white G3 towers. Search for smurfs if you do not know what
they look like. Molar Mac refers to a G3 beige all in one that was
primarily aimed at the education market. It was an all in one
predecessor to the iMac with monitor and a regular beige G3
motherboard (with pci slots and everything) built in. The case had
some unusual curves on the top that gave it the look of a Molar tooth.

Len