On Dec 15, 2009, at 12:59 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2009, at 12:48 PM, John Niven wrote:
>
>> --- On Tue, 12/15/09, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
>> wrote:
>>> system to 10.4; it turned out to be the flaky external dvd
>>> drive I was
>>> using to install it.
>>
>> Doesn't the install disk do a media check first? I know you can
>> bypass that but I always thought that was a good idea. then you know
>> the disk and drive are OK before you start.
>
> It was passing the check. It was a weird issue with the external FW
> enclosure that for some reason wasn't showing up on the check. I ended
> up installing the DVD drive internally and it worked.
>
> --
> Bruce Johnson
>
> "Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD

Maybe this story will be of some use. I  got a G4 MDD 1.0 dual That a friend
gave me because of the same problem you speak of. He was told that the Mother
board, well you know the rest.

Sometimes it would half boot. maybe boot then panic after a few sec. many
panics during boot, no response of any kind and so on.

I spent some days getting this machine running and what a jewell it has become
for me, a real workhorse.

I found that the machine likes to have the boot drive in the first 100 bay
(against the front wall). I partitioned my 500GB drive to 190 for the boot
drive because I boot OS9 also.

I disconnected every item from the machine including the RAM and PRAM Batt and
HDDs. Let the thing sit for a couple.

Cleaned the Ram slots. Then the CUDA down for 30 sec. Install the one HDD, RAM
and PRAM batt.

 I installed OS9 (with a special ROM for MDD) first and then OS 10.4.11 This
worked for me.

John  wtmm