On Dec 19, 2009, at 8:05 PM, John Carmonne wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2009, at 5:42 PM, Bill Connelly wrote:
>

>> On Dec 19, 2009, at 8:38 PM, Jonas Ulrich wrote:
>>
>>> True, it is an assumption, and although you don't use firewire on
>>> your DA now, it may become necessary in the event of a computer
>>> emergency. For example: You may need to use target disk mode to
>>> retrieve files off of it for one reason or another, or use it to
>>> install an OS on another mac or to transfer files. You also may need
>>> to use the optical drive of another mac via firewire.
>>>

>> You can also boot from external FW drives, but not USB, correct?
>>
> You can boot Intel Macs with USB, However I never gave a thought to
> target with FW, a very important feature. but that's just me.

Actually you can boot most PPC macs from USB as well:

<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20061017084322177

 From that thread:

"Further refinement I just came across in my notes, on the system
requirements to boot from Macintosh USB ports: OS 8.6 through 9.2.2,
and OS 10.4.3 and later. OS 8.6 - 9.2.2 might need the last of
whichever versions of the USB extensions that each of these System
versions supports (for OS 9.1 through 9.2.2, USB 1.5.6 is the
preferred version; OS 9.1 and later don't need the extension "USB Mass
Storage Support", especially since it sometimes freezes Macs running
OS 9.1 - 9.2.2 that are trying to boot from USB), though other details
as to the proper combination and versions of USB extensions under OS
8.6 - 9.2.2 is screwy, and too lengthy to post here, especially since
we're dealing with OS X anyway.

The first Macs to support USB booting, are the first slot-loading
iMacs (including the 350 MHz model with no Firewire ports), and the
Firewire Powerbook G3. I've even booted OS 10.4.11, from a USB 2.0
flash drive, on a Mirrored Drive Doors G4, from a USB 2.0 PCI slot
card, with no special tricks, Open Firmware modifications, etc."

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD