On Dec 22, 10:33 pm, Clark Martin <cm...@sonic.net> wrote:
> Len Gerstel wrote:
> > My home Mac has been running rock solid for months with only rare
> > software crashes. My system is a DA with the following:

snip

> That it hung with two different drives and in the boot select screen
> implies it's NOT the software.

My thoughts, unfortunately

>Possible problems, in likely order, bad memory,

2 matching sticks and tried swapping them around with no help.

> corrupt NVRAM or PRAM, wonky devices on any drive bus (ATA,
> SATA,...), wonky PCI cards, motherboard gone BAD, sick processor card.
>
> Try resetting NVRAM (and thus PRAM).

Reset the NVRAM and got the following:

On automatic restart, it immediately went to the 4 language restart
and then shut down.
Restarted again. This time came up with a 680 x 480 screen LARGE grey
apple, but no daisy. Twice.

Boot into open firmware and get the following:

WARNING MSSCR Values mismatch

Googling turns up nothing on msscr

Date was reset to 1904, so the resetting worked.

> In general start disconnecting things, working your way toward the
> motherboard and then boot to test it.
>
> I would boot with the option key held down each time.  It seems to be
> the shortest route to the kernel panic and it doesn't involve the HD
> booting so it's safe to restart at that point if needed.

> Keep debugging like this until you get to the point where you can
> disconnect one item and only one item and eliminate the problem.

Will try stripping down the system further tomorrow. Will also try
booting off a firewire drive just with all internals disconnected,
just in case.

Thanks all,
Len