At 5:38 PM -0500 12/24/2009, Erik Hancock wrote:
>Anyone having an issue with Safari consuming large volumes of HD space?

Mac?  Speed?  RAM?  OS?  Safari vers?

>I was given messages that I was out of HD space - in finder I was
>down to 300 MB  but when I quit safari I found that I immediately
>had 3 GB then I was back to 5GB.

Safari 4, on faster Macs, can suck up quite a bit of disk space for
it's page previews.  That's in addition to the normal cache and xtra
virtual memory space (if you have a lot of windows & tabs open).  But
I've never seen it use gigs...

What else do you have loaded?  Plug-ins, InputManagers, etc....

>In the old days you could tell an app how much space to use.  Is
>there anything I can do - I don't do a lot of video but I've seen
>comments on Flash bloat and wonder if all the stupid active ads and
>other junk is contributing.

Activity Monitor will let you watch things.

Flash is piggy and has memory leaks.  A blocker such as ClickToFlash
will make your browsing experience so much better....

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.