I have an old LaserWriter 16/600PS which I bought used several years
ago. It has  given (and is still giving) me "yeoman" service. It
prints better than either of my wife's HP (much newer) printers (they
give a pixellated (?) print-out on angled print boxes in ClarisWorks,
etc.). I used it for several years with my old  PPC 9600/300, to
which it is still connected with the old Mac printer serial cable.
There are a couple of old programs which I use once or twice a year
on this machine. I also have it connected to my "newer" G4 using a
parallel to USB converter cable.

I tried desperately a year or so ago to "install" it on the G3, and
it finally started to print as "Unknown printer", whereas it comes up
correctly under its original name with the 9600.

I have no idea why it works this way, and I was nearly ready to toss
it out when it finally started to print using OS X 4.11.

I have three queries:

I am "afraid" ever to put the G4 into Classic mode, for fear it will
never come back to OS X, and/or print correctly again.

Also, I am "afraid" to upgrade to the newer OS X.5 ... systems, for
fear (see above).

(I also purchased a HP Color LaserJet CP1215 which, it seems, will
never work with any Mac. Ah, well, I can always use my wife's PC,
faute de mieux.)

Right now, and probably indefinitely, I am in the "If it ain't broke,
don't fix it" mode.

Any advice?

My apologies if this is the wrong forum, or thread. Please move it to
the correct one, if this is necessary.

Thanks for all and any advice.

Murray Woods