On Dec 27, 2009, at 10:44 PM, Jason Brown wrote:

> On 12/27/2009 8:47 PM, Hal wrote:
>> Thanks for the quick response.
>> I tried replacing the battery, and that seems to have cleared up some other
>> issues I was having (prolonged blue screen on boot up), but it didn't solve
>> the no video on reboot problem.
>>
>> When I log in and share the screen, instead of the video card being properly
>> identified in system profiler, it just lists it as a "VGA Compatible
>> controller", but it lists the manufacturer correctly as ATI.
>>
>> When I cold boot it sees it as a ATI Radeon X1900.
>> I had the same result with the original Nvidia card.
>>
>> It only list 3 resolutions on the displays pref pane: 1024x768, 1280x1024
>> and 1680x1050. I'm using an Apple 23" aluminum HD display, and none of those
>> shows up on the display when I try selecting it.
>>

>> Maybe the slot has gone bad? Is that possible? I pressed the reset button on
>> the logic board when I put the new battery in.
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> -Hal
>>

> I had that issue on a Powermac G5 where I work. No matter what card I
> put in it, it would act funky. Reset button on board didnt do anything.
> Try this and lemme know if it works. Shut computer down and while
> holding down Command-Alt-O-F to go into Open Firmware (I know, you gotta
> be a contortionist for that). When in OF, type in reset-nvram and hit
> enter. Then type in set-defaults and hit enter. Then type in reset-all
> and hit enter. Computer will reboot and may come up fine after that. If
> that doesnt work, I recommend downloading Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner or
> Onyx and cleaning all your system and kernel caches. Hope this helps. =)

Interestingly, I tried the open firmware procedure described above, and when it
rebooted, the screen stayed on the grey OF screen with black text while the
computer rebooted, with no display. It's almost like it doesn't know the video
card and display are there. I also tried the Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner and did
the "Deep Cleaning" with no change in results.