On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 4:40 PM, kimtoufectis <kimtoufec...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I share many of the views expressed in this thread about using a
> computer that is a great value and does what we need it to do.  In
> most cases the need is expressed in software terms, since software is
> generally what we are referring to when we say we "use" a computer.
>
> I'd like to add that my clamshell iBook (300 Mhz, 544 MB RAM, 2 GB
> ROM) is a sustainable computing hardware project for me.  That I found
> it on eBay for $79 and have kept total project cost for software and
> hardware to $150 or so adds to the value proposition, but I use it in
> part BECAUSE it is over ten years old and still works.  Decent
> keyboard, decent screen, decent software.  I considered the new-
> netbook alternative, and one day I might acquire one of those as well,
> but as long as this serves, why introduce yet another computer to the
> wild and have reason to believe that my cast-off may well be in a
> landfill somewhere?
>
> Besides, the iBook has panache, it never crashes, and I can use
> browsers as recent as the last incarnation of Opera 9.  Yes, out-of-
> date browsers pose some risk, but perhaps we're just not much of a
> market for the malwarers...do you suppose there are many Nash Ramblers
> carved up in chopshops to feed the repair parts market these days?

I love Nash Ramblers and Metropolitans too.

But you may notice "my" spinoff  thread was about speculations as to why
people run Microsoft Winblowz on Macs and ignore the far superior OS X.
That can be very mysterious.

you will not find any arguments from me on the points you made. I was sold
on Mac OS over a decade ago.

--
Adrian D'Alessio aka; Fluxstringer

  fluxstrin...@gmail.com