At 1:19 PM -0800 1/24/10, tonycd wrote:
I loaded all the 512s from the two 867 machines into one of them,
chosen pretty much at random, since I needed one machine more urgently
than two. Eventually, after some stumbling around, this turned out to
be a sweet-running (if somewhat noisy) Mac that's now being enjoyed by
my son.

Ok, let me get this straight:

Of the three machines, the 1.25 was working other than the DVD drive, plus you got one 867 working for your son. The third one is comatose? Or is the 1.25 also not booting? Or you somehow managed to fubar both 867s?

In short, what works?

The other two, though, are another matter. Eventually, I punted and
started swapping around both RAM cards and CPUs. I had two old and
small RAM cards, four newer 2700-speed 512 RAM cards, one older/slower
CPU card, and one newer/faster CPU card.

In the course of ineptly testing the slower machine, I ran it for
about 30 seconds without the heat sink on the 867 card. Bye-bye 867
card. (Yes, I know. Dumb.)

Now I have the faster CPU, both chassis, both machines' hard drives
with Tiger on them after the previous owner wiped them and reinstalled
the OS, a CD drive, a DVD drive of unknown condition, and the
aforementioned proven-good RAM cards.

Current state: Both machines, when fitted with the remaining CPU and
either hard drive, give the interrupted chime and 3 beeps that is
supposed to mean all the RAM is bad. I did the "pencil eraser and
shove 'em in real good" drill. Makes no difference whatsover.

I'm just about the point of recycling the whole mess.

I'll be happy to provide recycling service for you. I won't even charge you for shipping ;-)

What I'd do is to take the RAM out of your son's working 867 and, one at a time, put the "bad" RAM in and see if it boots.

If they're all testing good there, then you can start putting them in the non-working 867 (one at a time) to see if you can get it to boot. Don't forget to hit the CUDA switch. Or whatever it's called these days.

If they all work in your son's 867 and not in the other, there's a possibility that you have a problem with the RAM slots.

You might also try swapping the "bad" 867 processor into the working machine to see if you *really did* cook it. It seems to me that it could have survived 30 seconds without smoking, but then again I wasn't there - use your own judgement on whether it's worth testing.

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>

Sustainable Building Calendar: <http://Calendar.SustainableSources.com>