On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 1:17 AM, Paul <pper...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The offending thread containing the spam (entitled "[no subject]") is
> still there. This gives the appearance that the main purpose of Group
> Managers is to spew scolding flames at well-intentioned members,
> rather than doing useful things like removing spam.

Oh noes, it's also still present in all the mirrored archives as well
(e.g. http://www.mail-archive.com/g3-5-list@googlegroups.com/msg15332.html),
whatever will we do?! Realistically with such a method of
communication like this, there is no way to delete a message once it
has been sent because even if you can delete it from the main archive
it'll still have been sent to all email subscribers and it'll appear
in any mirroring archives regardless. The only way you can really
control this is on a per person basis, and that means deleting the
emails you don't want, creating filters for constant nuisances, and
ultimately unsubscribing if the majority of the list postings are not
useful to you. So really, although the nannies are doing their best to
keep things under control (and they're doing a pretty good job at
doing so) they can truly only do preventative measures--there is very
little that can be done after the fact but they can do preventative
maintenance after the fact to help prevent a recurrence both from the
offending poster and from other posters as well which is what they've
been doing by posting FAQs and warnings publicly to the list. I don't
really think there's much more that can be done...

--
Best Regards,

John Musbach