On 2/13/2010 3:47 PM, Eric Volker wrote:
In an interesting twist, I've successively run Disk Utility and SMART Reporter on the drive, and they both pass the drive. Now SMART Utility does give more thorough feedback, but is it being too pessimestic? I think what I'll do is repartition the drive and zero out the drive seven times. If it doesn't lose (m)any more sectors, I'll pronounce it healthy, if a little dodgy. Do folks here trust Disk Utility to report a healthy drive?

Thanks,

Eric

Heres an interesting twist for you. I have an external box that is hooked up via USB. It can also do eSATA, however it is not hooked up via that interface at present. I have been told time and time again that you cannot read SMART data over USB. I can with this drive box. It is a NexStar 3 by Vantec. I was also able to configure advanced drive parameters such as disabling the acoustic management. It stored this information through a complete power down as well.

As for Disk Utility reporting a healthy drive. It makes that report based on the SMART reporting feature of that drive. That only generally gets tripped if it is in impending doom, but is not always reliable. Don't trust that reading on anything critical. I have seen drives that are totally healthy via the SMART report die instantly with no warning. I have also seen drives that were indicated as impending failure that are still running after 4 or 5 years or more.