300-MHz PowerMac G3, 1.5-GHz PowerBook G4, Mac OS X 10.4.11, fully updated.

HP ScanJet 7490c, connected via USB.

I downloaded the "latest" software from HP, for this scanner. PrecisionScan 3.3. Seems to work well, very fast, etc. BUT the daemon that watches the buttons on scanner's front panel has a BAD memory leak. It sits there chewing up memory until the VM size grows to about 1.5 GB, then it takes the Mac to its knees, then the whole system freezes.

Googled around, saw this is a known problem - soln is to kill that daemon. But that leaves the scanner's front panel unusable.

I also have other HP scanners, different models but mostly of the same time frame, that I need to get working.

Is there a version of PrecisionScan, newer than 3.3, that supports these older scanners, but doesn't come with the handy dandy hemorrhage? Been googling around, and perusing hp's site, but so far found nada.

Thanks,
- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.