won't istumbler work this way? Jeff

On Mar 5, 2010, at 9:10 PM, Albert Carter wrote:

If you want to know how to detect a specific computer connecting you can setup your niece's computer's MAC Address to obtain a specific IP from your router connects and then just keep a continuous ping running on that IP. When the pings start coming back then you'll know she's connected.

Albert Carter
Reston, VA
Computer Consultant/Technician/Training

From: Clark Martin <cm...@sonic.net>
To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Sat, March 6, 2010 12:05:54 AM
Subject: Re: Who's using my network?

On 3/5/10 8:56 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2010, at 8:27 PM, Jeffrey Engle wrote:
>

>> Anybody know if there's a piece of software out there (for leopard
>> 10.5.8) that will tell me who's using my network? I know it will
>> probably only show an IP address, but that would be good. Jeff
>
> Most WiFi routers have a section where they show connected devices in > their configuration software, including Airport's . Wired devices are
> easy to find. Pick up the ethernet cable and follow....

And if you have the MAC address you can use the first 3 number pairs
(prefix) to find the vendor of the Ethernet chip set.  Apple computers
almost always come up as Apple being the vendor.  Other brands are
harder to tell.

You can use either of these web pages to look up the MAC prefix.

<http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt>
<http://www.curreedy.com/stu/nic/>

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA

You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs. The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is athttp://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml