Hi Bill. I'm surprised anyone can import a two-hour movie into iMovie
and edit it. Anytime I even tried one hour projects (iMovie 4 thru 6),
by the time the project got that long the video and audio were coming
unglued from each other and the program was getting so sluggish and
buggy it was hard to continue. Switching to Final Cut Express was a
tremendous relief despite the steep learning curve, and the increase
in the quality of the video productions and the ease of creating them
are incomparable. iMovie is a mug's game, in my opinion strictly for
amateurs doing short children's birthday videos or recording vacations
for family and friends. For any kind of serious video production, dump
iMovie fast and get any version of Final Cut, learn to use it, and
you'll wonder how you ever put up with iMovie.

Final Cut is confusing at first and not easy to master, but Tom
Wolsky, the author of several tutorial books on Final Cut, is among
many helpful people in the Apple Final Cut Express forum (here:
<http://tinyurl.com/69jmgs>) who answer newbie questions fast when
you're learning. When I bought Final Cut Express (for $300) I also got
one of Wolsky's tutorial books with its DVD (here: <http://tinyurl.com/
yahht27>), and Helmut Koble's Final Cut Express for Dummies (here:
<http://tinyurl.com/ydt4t9u>) and learned the program on the Mac with
the books in my lap and a Safari bookmark to the Apple FCE forum. If
you can get FCE for only $100 now, then there is no excuse not to dump
iMovie and get serious about video production.

Final Cut (both Express and Pro) outputs as an ordinary QuickTime
movie that can simply be dropped into iDVD like any iMovie production
(I'm using iDVD 7 and Toast 6 with OS 10.5.6 on a G5 2.0) and I just
modify any of the stock iDVD templates to suit me, dropping in my own
background pictures and music and then burning the iDVD project within
the computer as a disk image that can be stored on a hard drive and
used to make real DVDs.

If I'm converting VHS or old Hi8 tapes, or importing a commercial
movie, I feed them through a Canopus ADVC 300 into Final Cut, where
editing and adding in scene selections is a breeze.

Before I got the G5 I was doing all my Final Cut Express work quite
easily on a QS 2002 dual 1G (I only got the G5 because I moved up to
Final Cut Pro 5 and it wouldn't run on the G4). Some of the
productions I made with FCE on the G4, which would have been quite
impossible to do in iMovie, I put up on YouTube, here: <http://
tinyurl.com/6xdymg> or <http://tinyurl.com/6e698m>. Check those out
and see if you could even begin to make such videos with iMovie.

Once again, my advice is to chuck iMovie without delay and get Final
Cut Express (which has most of the capabilities of Final Cut Pro) and
you'll never look back, except with amazement that you ever put up
with the frustrations and limitations of that stupid iMovie.