This might be off-topic but fits with this response:

John,

You are only partially correct here. If you mean that AMD is CURRENTLY
consistently behind Intel you would be correct, however AMD has in the
past be ahead of Intel:

1) In 2006 AMD was the first to release a fully 64-bit processor
2) In this processor the AMD Athlon X2 64 AMD was ahead both in
architechture and speed of dual core processors.
3) AMD was the 1st to implement TRUE dual core processors.

I would have to agree that currently AMD falls behind Intel, however
price perspective speaking they are a lot cheaper and probably aproach
a better price:performance ratio than Intel. Honestly, in the short
time I've been really into Macs again (almost a year) from what I've
seen a Macintosh with an AMD Processor would still walk all over any
Intel based PC. Heck I think my G4 walks over my PC, plus there would
be a lower price point to boot. If Apple were to sink the $$ into AMD
that they are currently sinking into Intel I believe AMD would be
stronger financially and would probably be ahead of Intel in
production than Intel.

Albert