On Apr 29, 2010, at 9:56 AM, Cliff Rediger wrote:

I'm running 10.4.11 on a Mini G4.

Hmm. Since I inadvertently cloned from a smaller drive (d1) to a
larger drive, thus erasing most of what was on the larger drive (d2)
I'm suddenly thinking that any recovery will require a third drive
(d3) of equal size to the "d2".
Is that right? or will Disk Recovery buffer recovered files (from d2)
and progressively write back to "d2"?

As a rule of thumb always ALWAYS ALWAYS do data recovery to a clean drive. Never EVER write to your problem drive; write-protect it in hardware if possible.

If these files are worth it (irreplaceable and/or will cost a great deal to re-create) consider a data recovery service like Drive Savers. They're pricey, but they can probably get the data back.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona