On Jun 15, 2010, at 11:37 AM, Chance Reecher wrote:

Dan wrote:
I'm disappointed. IMO, this seems to be yet-another overpriced Mini that goes into the "why bother" category. It should be a fast machine, but then it's got older i/o technology, circa 2005ish, bolted on.

Only one Firewire port.
The 4 USB ports are probably again all the same bus.

No eSATA.

No USB 3.
You can't use I/O as an argument against the Mini when the iMacs have _less._

But the iMacs were not just refreshed. It would have been the perfect time to offer an i/o upgrade. The Firewire is 800, not too shabby.

No Blu-ray.
Adding Blu-ray to the mini would be pointless, as there is no playback software available for OS X.

Wouldn't that be a good way to introduce it? Since the mini now has an hdmi port it would make sense to introduce it. There was a comment on slashdot about this. Basically it says Apple looks ahead a few years and they think blu-ray is dead end, streaming is the way to go in the future.

Can't tell - is there a wi-fi antenna port? If not, how does the signal escape that pretty all metal enclosure?
Maybe through the Apple logo on top?

or the bottom?

They moved the power supply inside,,, so now there will be heat issues in enclosed spaces.
I highly doubt Apple would've moved it inside if it caused heat issues.

Naw, Apple has never designed a computer with physical issues before. Road Apples anyone? Upgrade a 9500's ram?

Why couldn't they have used all that extra space to provide better quality i/o? You know, the things that PCs have had available for a few years now!

Then there's the SD slot -- ON THE BACK of the machine. So you have to pick up your computer, and turn it around - with cables attached - to plug in your camera card?????? WTF! DItto for the four USB ports. IF they had all that space available,,, why couldn't they put the SD, FW and a USB port on the front????!!!!
That is stupid. I hated fumbling around on the back of my mini to plug in flash drives and other USB devices.

Agreed on both the current and previous.

Overall, for me the only drawback on the refurb 2.26MHz I just got delivered yesterday compared to these is the graphics chip. Overall, I think I got the better deal at $499. Even with these becoming refurbs in 2 months at $599.

Yes, I knew a refresh was coming soon according to Macrumours. But I was able to splurge now and could not guarantee the funds would not be diverted to something else.

Len