On Jun 16, 2010, at 10:04 PM, Michael Emery wrote:

I brought home a Quicksilver from work for use on my wife's desk. It won't sleep, despite setting it to do so. When I select *sleep* from the Apple Menu, it pretends to sleep for a beat, then wakes up, eyes wide open and hard drive spinning, not to mention that famous Quicksilver fan noise.

I believe this machine burns 345 watts or so. Outside of shutting down after use, what's a mother to do?

--
Michael Emery

Check what PCI cards are installed. Maybe one of them doesn't support Sleep.

Any peripherals attached? Maybe one is drawing power off a USB bus, or something of that nature, and won't let it stay in Sleep.

See what is running in the background ... something like that might keep it from sleeping. Something trying to access the internet.

Leave the KB and Mouse alone, after Sleep. That will wake it up (but you probably already knew that).

Maybe others can help ...