On Jul 2, 2010, at 6:41 PM, John Carmonne wrote:

I need instruction on what to do with the files, I thought I had it but was mistaken by another folder by the same name. I downloaded the suggested files and put them in the folders that the site says but when i drag the FLAC files to the OggS window I get nothing? Can you tell me what you did to make it work?

 1.  This is what I followed

To install simply copy the "XiphQT" component bundle into the Library/Components folder in your home directory. To install the XiphQT component system-wide copy it into the Library/Components in your system's root folder. Create the destination folder if it doesn't exist.

2.  I put the other file as follows

 Put 'FLACImport.component' bundle in /Library/QuickTime or
~/Library/QuickTime. Restart any QuickTime based applications. Restart
the machine to be extra sure. That should be it.

 3.  The OggS app is in my application folder.

I've got the FlacImport.component in my /Library/QuickTime folder, and XiphQT in /Library/Components. I don't think the exact locations matter as long as you have them in one of these locations:
/System/Library/Components
/System/Library/QuickTime
/Library/Components
/Library/QuickTime
~/Library/Components
~/Library/QuickTime

As a note, you normally wouldn't add these to the System/Library folders, but there are examples where this is advantageous. A perfect example would be the macam.component which enables many models of USB Web Cameras. When you place the macam.component into the System/ Library/QuickTime folder it makes the USB cams available to ALL OS X applications as natively supported. As I said, normally you'd never do this, and it requires you correct the ownership & permissions to root:wheel, but in the case of a hardware device driver this is a good deal. I use the /Library location because I want these additions to be available to all users, not just my own account.

As for using the script "Set OggS", it's just a drag & drop, you drop the FLAC or other supported files onto the "Set OggS" icon, and it normally opens a Terminal window and sets the flag so that iTunes can recognize the file. This happens VERY fast, it only takes a second or two on my G5 for large batches, so it's possible the window may be hidden behind another window and then closes before you see it happen? Once the Set OggS flag has been set, you can drop the FLAC or other supported files into iTunes and they should import into your iTunes library relatively normally. The one drawback is the lack of artwork or some other data fields for cataloging these FLAC files, which is why I convert to Apple Lossless.

I think you'll need to reboot after installing the components. It works for me for the past 5 years or so, no real problems.